Monday, August 06, 2007

itsy bitsy my arse


Meet Tegenaria Gigantea, commonly called the 'house spider' in Britain.

T.G is essentially harmless and is considered to be something of a gentle giant by some; around this time of year the males tend to go walkabout, looking for a mate for the season. The males legs can grow fairly long, allowing them to dash across your carpets in the blink of an eye, the visitor we had tonight proved.

I mean, this spider is fast. Seriously quick. It covered just over a metre in the time it took me to look down after catching the movement in the corner of my eye (looking for chameleons in Mrs Bea's hedge as a kid taught me a lot).

I grabbed a pint glass and grabbed him from his hidey hole under the sofa throw, upon which poor Mrs FG sat a-quivering. Perhaps, in retrospect, I shouldn't have shouted "Fucking hell! Don't move!" and run out of the room.

Anyhoo, he was a fantastic looking bastard- healthy, huge & hairy. It's a pity we couldn't find the camera. I took him to the massively overgrown hedge at the corner of the road and set him free.. he was big enough that I could hear him scuttling away across the leaves.

And no, I don't hold with killing spiders if I have a choice.. bad mojo doing that, especially indoors.
Posted by Mark :: 21:12 :: 2 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------