Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Another port, Smithers. Good lad.

I've been with my 'new' employer for just shy of 18 months now; and this week marked my first review as a full-fledged, dinkum employee. Last year I'd just popped out of my probationary period and as the FNG/nOOb my review was a cursory thing. They did, however, deign to give me a 'token' pay rise and bonus, which was most welcome (when is it not?!).

But this year I got hauled into a boardroom with two directors and had my last year dissected. I squirmed, I blushed, I preened. It was... surprisingly good. I mean, I know I work hard and put the hours in, but its just the daily grind, you know? I do the work. I never realised that apparently I do it very well - no one tells you these things! You're just left to get on with it (being an adult and all).

So when you're suddenly thrust into the situation I found myself in, you splutter. Or maybe it's just me... I know I'm a bit of a closet pessimist at work, but that's how I try keep myself ahead of things blowing up- by assuming they will and then reacting as if it were already happening. Unfortunately, assuming that you're making a complete hash of everything is a natural side effect of that otherwise cunning mindset.

So I just sat with a mouthful of teeth, blinking, listening to the senior director telling me I was doing a great job and they were most pleased with my sterling performance. I'm fairly certain I didn't drool, although I know I forgot to blink at one stage and my mouth was open for at least half of it.

The upshot? A hearty pat on the pack and a much, much happier wallet :)

Increase in line with the rate of inflation? Ha! Bite me.
Capitalism rocks!




Posted by Mark :: 21:32 :: 3 Comments:

Post / Read Comments

---------------oOo---------------